Internet of the credulous

So what really happened?

It started with a lot of people changing their Facebook profile pictures, using a Facebook provided tool, which overlay the image with tricolor. Why did they do that? No one's really sure or has the true facts. Not that I do. All I have is the reason to "why did I change my display picture?"

A simple answer, to commemorate our Prime Minister's visit to the Silicon Valley. Whether I like our PM or not is immaterial, he is my PM. He represents my country and that is it. Once he is elected, he is the one and I stand with him until he steps down. And to show that, I changed my profile picture. Why do I need to show? My prerogative, my wish, my freedom.

Now you may ask why only that particular profile picture, why not something else.
Let's think of old times, when kings traveled. They had flag bearers. The flag bearers carried one flag, not different ones to their liking. Same reason, I changed my DP to what it is today.

This is where the topic of changing the profile image stands. Let's leave it at that, since what happened after that needs more understanding.

Some, supposed, "hacker**" found that the html behind Facebook code had the words internetorg written in a class attribute. And all hell broke loose. I didn't expect that from developers, at least. Consider how much we like to reuse code. And if you are a UI developer, you'll sure want to reuse it all, when it comes to stylesheets. But how and why did it create so much noise.

It began with articles like MensXP, that claimed Internet org was evil, and by changing our DP we were "voting" against net neutrality in India.
The foolishness about voting has been cleared by the end of the day Huff Post.

What didn't get clear was what was with this free internet? Is it really evil? Is it against net neutrality?

So here is one simple argument. Those who are crying about availability of free internet at public places, piloting from railway stations, should remember "it is free internet", operating word being free.

Net neutrality: If the companies providing this internet provides access only to a few services, doesn't make it against net neutrality. Users shall choose not to use that free service and pay their ISP and enjoy unrestricted internet. If users are paying and not getting unrestricted access to internet, that's against net neutrality, not otherwise.
Another argument is put forth, saying that such internet availability will adversely impact ISPs. Why, won't it even help them? And since it is restricted, people will still go to the ISPs and pay for the internet when they need unrestricted access.

What good it does? It keeps you connected. Even if a little, something is better than nothing. You can still get to know what's going on. And consider the population in India that is still unconnected. What's so wrong if they do get into the web, pun intended?

Last and not the least, those who say it allows Facebook to push information down your throat, think again. Facebook only hosts content, doesn't create it. It is all user generated content. Just use your heads and do not believe everything you see on the internet and do not spread rumors. You'll be fine***.

**Reading html behind webpage is not hacking. Get a life. Enable developer options and do more in your browser, I mean.

***This is my personal opinion. Do not believe everything you read on the internet? My whole blog might be a monstrous lie.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing strategy...

Askers vs Believers

Winter is "chillilng"... pun intended