Art

I sat idly in front of the television set watching Indian channels. It's been long since I had really sat like this watching Indian serials, those were a luxury in this foreign land. And even more so, been never a fan of MTV India, lest it played things like Coke Studio or Dewarist.
And coke studio is what I waited for, since I had scrolled and saw it in the listing. But right now some top 20 were playing. I sat, absentmindedly watching, for that is my nature while I go into that pondering mode. So is my nature that I lose sense of what is happening around while doing things that interested me more, like flying my newly acquired heli. A nature acquired from long hours of study sitting in front of television during my kid years. Yet it was not so that I did not know what was playing, nevertheless I paid no attention.

Entertainment is art. Some say art defines the state of affairs, I thought differently. Maybe the state of the affairs define art. Art lives and historically document the times that are. Art survives the most beguiling or the disenchanting times. Art thrived during the culturally rewarding times of world and art survived in Gulag. Art portrays what was, be it the Taj, the stories of Mahabharata and Ramayana, the stone sculptures of Khajuraho, the statue of Maharana riding Chetak, the movies telling of wars and love ... the songs of Honey Singh!!!

Oh yes! Honey Singh!! That was the song, some Aunty calling the Police...

Some would hate Honey Singh, many love him. But united we stand that the songs of his are being heard and played all around us. The so called Rap, with lewd and suggestive lyrics and the gangster style. A lot many complain, our parents, he and the likes of him are spoiling our young. Yet no, he isn't. He's selling because he has a market. A market that is enchanted with him, a market that can identify itself with him.
Yet there are those who say he is entertaining. Oh yes he is, he recently sang lungi dance. Not any great song, but entertaining, sans Mr. Singh's perennial Gangsta style...

And then coke studio started. Religions amalgamating and jamming in their own style...

Wondering them as a representation of what our times were, when someone will watch these songs 50 years from now; he will never have any doubts that these were the times when minors violated the country and it's daughters, young marched with candles in their hands protesting against corruption and crime, same young were enchanted with living and looking like hood...

And then I realize, no one will listen to these songs 50 years from now. We can't remember them 5 months from now, let alone 50...

And thus I sit back and relax listening to the melodies from my Papa's times... Life was simpler, sweeter then, so I gather from the art...







  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing strategy...

Askers vs Believers

Winter is "chillilng"... pun intended