Innovation

After eons, I finally got an opportunity to have lunch with my buddies in the break room today. And as we sat chatting anything and everything and came up to the possibility of defragmenting a man to allow him to tie up his whole body to serve specific purpose. It came up that I could serve vengeance to the extent of creating a bug that evolves and reproduces itself that no one could debug it for it will create copies of itself faster than one could remove it, if ever someone tried to convert my body into a robotic manifestation.
And someone just said that my joke was something to be thought about. A bug that evolves...
Well, it is not. If only we look, such bugs are all around us. But those are too small to be noticed, and probably that's why those are called viruses.
Still it was an idea nonetheless. An idea different from a perspective we usually take.
Such gibberish, such unusual and unexpected conditions lead to real innovation.
I still remember reading about how Schwarzchild came up with his famous solution to the Einstein's equation, for a non rotating point mass in the middle of WW1 while watching the cannon balls flying all around him into the ground and flexing the ground underneath, just like he deduced that a point mass would bend the space time fabric.
That's innovation. It comes from nothing. It comes from giving free rein to thought.

There is no method, no process and no predetermined or premeditated strategy that can breed innovation. It can, to an extent, give us ideas to create extensions to what already exists. It does not have the ability to produce.

It was one such day when I sat back home and read Einstein's quotation that said that "Intelligent humans should not waste time in doing what dumb machines can." He was referring to the use of calculators instead of doing unnecessary mental calisthenics. And it clicked that the dumbest possible work I ever do is creating dumb java beans or those classes that map one object to another. I always shunned doing this, and as far as I remember I have done very little of this even while I was a fresher. Always found a way to ward this off to someone else. (Devilish me)
And I came up with a dumb machine, a piece of code, that could save me from ever needing to do that.
Maybe no one would call it innovation. But that was what came out as a result of free thought. And it was born out of no premeditated design.

And I still remember how much time we spent in "Ideating" sessions that never resulted in anything. I never thought the thought of creating a dumb piece of code to save me from creating java beans, in any of those sessions.
But a simple quotation that I might have read many times earlier did the trick...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing strategy...

Winter is "chillilng"... pun intended

Askers vs Believers